Chickerell Link Road
16th January 2006
First traffic; at junction of new Chickerell Link Road and Hampshire Road.
Maiden voyage; Graham Wiltshire drives Chickerell Mayor Whyte and three-year old Robyn Mackenzie along the new road.
Looking east towards Wessex Stadium.
Aerial view July 2005:
Top left: Glennie Way.
Top right: Wessex Golf Course.
Bottom left: Montevideo Care Home.
Photo copyright Peter Price.
DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL'S Planning Committee has given approval to build a controversial bypass that will run from the Granby to the Army Camp on Chickerell Road. The development could now start as early as Spring 2004.
Critics of the scheme say that the road is a precursor for the Western Relief Road to Portland. That road is planned to go from Chickerell Army Camp straight through the World Heritage Coast to Ferrybridge, one of the most beautiful parts of Dorset.
Artist's Impression of completed Chickerell Link Road
- New Traffic Signal Controlled Junction where Link Road meets current junction of Fleet Lane and Chickerell Road.
- Charlestown end of Putton Lane stopped up and turning facility provided.
- New T-junction giving access to parts of Putton Lane up to, and, including Green Lane.
- Glennie Way end of Putton Lane stopped up and turning facility provided.
- New Junction where Link Road meets current L-bend of Hampshire Road.
- Access Junction to Link Road for new Industrial Development..